Thursday, January 8, 2009

A brief introduction to this blog, the intentions behind it, and the author

jacob@rhino:~$ js
js> print('Hello World!');
Hello World!
js>


My name is Jacob Beard and I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I work full-time for a web-development startup, and I also do research for the McGill University Modelling, Simulation and Design lab. In both of these jobs, I am forced to use web technologies extensively. Fortunately, this works out, because I am an Open Web Otaku:

Otaku: is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime and manga

A definition of the Open Web.
And a great talk that sums it right up.

I am particularly motivated by JavaScript, the language, in all of its various permutations and contexts, even when they extend beyond the world of client-side scripting. There's just something about it... so small, so broken, and yet so powerful. I love to make it do surprising things.

The goal of this blog is to expose the insights, tips, and inspirations that emerge while I with JavaScript- things that I hope will be of general interest to other developers who, like me, are fully committed to the open web as their platform for delivering rich applications. This is therefore Yet Another JavaScript dev Blog (TM), in line with Ajaxian, coding in paradise (Brad Neuberg's blog), and Steve Yegge's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment