Wednesday, October 7, 2009

SVG Open 2009 Results and Other Things

It's been awhile since I've posted here because I've been very busy doing interesting work! First, I had to prepare for the SVG Open 2009 conference, where I presented a paper on modelling the reactive behaviour of user interfaces with class diagrams and statecharts. The paper and presentation can be found online here.

I have to say, the conference went really well! My feeling about it was that many developers are already using state machines to describe the behaviour of their objects. Many saw the techniques I presented as the more developed version of the techniques they were already using. All in all, my experience at the conference convinced me that people are ready to begin using these techniques and incorporating them into their workflows. What is lacking is tooling, in the form of a good Statechart editor and Statechart-to-JavaScript compiler. These tools need to be high-quality, free and open source, and have a clean code base that is hacker-friendly. It has always been my intention to fill this gap, but I now feel highly motivated to renew my efforts.

In order to write the SVG Open paper, I had to learn to use Docbook. Getting set up in an environment that was conducive to being creative with this format turned out to be nontrivial, and I hope to make this the subject of a future post. Suffice it to say, I now quite like it, and I've found it to be a very productive format. I'm considering using it to write my master's thesis, as opposed to LaTeX.

I'm doing very interesting work for my courses this year as well, especially my course in Distributed Systems. The Prof has granted me permission to do my own project, and so I'm focusing on distributed user interfaces. Of course, I'm targeting the browser as the preferred client. On the server, I'm running Batik inside a servlet, with SVG documents and objects exposed via a RESTful API that I rolled myself. The project is going to focus on issues of performance and concurrency. This is really great stuff, and I hope to write more about it as it develops.

Finally, Google Chrome for Linux is just amazing. Where Firefox always feels sluggish, even on my new 64-bit AMD Turion X2 Dual Core laptop, Chrome is always lightning fast. Unfortunately, I need Firefox for 3 reasons: plugins, plugins, plugins. Actually, I need it for Zotero, Firebug, and Xmarks. Once this gap is filled, once developers can begin writing extensions for Chrome, that may be the endgame for Firefox.

No comments:

Post a Comment